Is you business outsourcing various parts of your digital marketing to various companies? If your SEO is handled by one company and social media marketing is handles by another company then this disjointed digital marketing effort can hurt your business. Why? Because search, web design and social are not separate entities anymore.
For example take a look at the search engine ranking factors report compiled by Moz, one of the leading authorities when it comes to digital marketing. If you look at the report you’ll see the correlation between social metrics and higher rankings. The following social factors had a strong correlation with higher rankings.
- Number of Google +1’s
- Number of Facebook likes
- Number of Facebook shares
- Number of Facebook comments
- Number of Tweet from Topsy
So if you’re social media team can get a good number of Google +1’s for any article then there is a good chance that it will go up in search engine rankings. But if both parties are not aware of what each other is working on then this will never happen.
So now we know social and search have a correlation. What about web design? How does that affect search engine rankings. Well here are few ranking factors that are directly under the ownership of the webmaster.
- Page load time – In 2010 Google officially declared site speed as a ranking factor. Not only search engine rankings a slow site will hurt your sales and devalue the trust of a user as well.
- Duplicate Content – Google is smart enough to differentiate same content appearing on category pages and the home page. But if the same content is repeated across different pages then that is a problem. This often happens when the web design company creates pages based on requests of the search team with default data and the search team forgets to modify the content.
- Broken links – This doesn’t necessarily hurt search engine rankings but it gives a poor experience for users and the crawlers doesn’t look kindly at sites with broken links.
The above points highlight the importance of of good web design for search engine rankings. So now you know the problem and here’s how you can go about fixing it.
How to Join Disjointed Digital Marketing Efforts
There are few ways you can go about this. And if you’re using a different method than what’s mentioned below be sure to let me know in the comments.
- Hire a Digital Marketing Manager – This way you have one person responsible for all your digital marketing activities. No need to contact multiple people to get a reading about the online marketing situation. Also this makes the co-ordination between different teams so much easier. You can ask the social media company to start sharing as soon as an article or a web page is published. Search companies request for fixing broken links can be immediately delegated to the web design company etc.
- Build an In House Team – The next step after hiring a digital marketing manager. Having an in house marketing team helps you to respond to various situation much faster compared to outsourcing. If a customer tweets about defect in your software you can directly reach a developer for a solution. Plus you have access to internal company data like sales figures which will make targeting much more easier.
- Outsources to Efficient Companies – If a web design company is taking 3-4 days to fix a simple 404 error then you should seriously consider outsourcing that to another company. If you’ve outsourced different activities to different companies response time become critical to effectively do you online marketing.
- Outsource Everything to One Company – This is why most companies prefer to work with digital marketing agencies compared to freelancers or small companies that handle only one aspect of digital marketing. Because everything is done by one company there is cohesion and different teams tend to compliment each others work. The drawback is it is generally expensive compared to freelancers or small companies.
If you’ve outsourced different online marketing activities to different companies then you should seriously consider implementing some of the steps mentioned in the article. And if you have other methods to efficiently do this do let me know in the comments.