People looking for data entry jobs in Sri Lanka can be divided into two categories. People looking for permanent data entry job positions and people looking for online data entry jobs to do in their free time or as a part time job. This article focuses on finding and getting online data entry jobs, but I’ll try to cover the former a bit at the end as well.
Online Data Entry Jobs in Sri Lanka
There are so many scam sites offering date entry jobs that finding a legitimate one is like finding a needle in a haystack. I frequently get mails from people inquiring about the legitimacy of sites and almost all of the time they are scam sites looking to make some easy money at your expense.
If you’re looking for online data entry jobs it’s always a good idea to go through third party websites like ODesk, Freelancer and PeoplePerHour. This ensures that you get paid for your work and you don’t have to spend money to get data entry jobs.
Finding Online Data Entry Jobs
First of all I have mention that I’m not a big fan of data entry jobs. The pay is quite low unless it’s a specialized field like medical data entry. I prefer passive income opportunities like blogging and affiliate marketing. But I understand that sometimes you need these jobs to get through university or to make some cash in your spare time. I have listed down few third party sites where you can find data entry jobs for free.
- PeoplePerHour – I really like the interface of this website and there are quite a few data entry opportunities available as well. As with any freelancing sites you need to build up reputation to get decent jobs. This is especially important in a niche like data entry where competition is fierce. There are many other jobs other than data entry jobs available as well. Register for PeoplePerHour >> .
- ODesk – Another website that offer data entry jobs free of charge. In this website once you bid 10% more will be added to your bid and will be charged from the job provider so you want lose any money as a commission. This site is also targeted towards freelancers so if you have expertise in other areas you will find yourself with more opportunities. Join ODesk For Free >> .
- Freelancer.com – As the name suggests this is website dedicated to freelance work but they have data entry job openings as well. It is free to join and you only have to pay a commission when you are getting paid so you are guaranteed money. If you have skills in writing or doing various programming stuff then there are lots more opportunities for you as well. Join Freelancer for free >>.
Qualifying for Online Data Entry Jobs
As I mentioned before data entry is a highly competitive niche. Because the competition is so high the payout is also very low. The following basic skill are essential for you to have any chance of obtaining a data entry job.
- Good English – You don’t need to be fluent, but you should have a good working knowledge of English. Without these you have zero chance of obtaining online data entry work.
- Attention to Details – Most data entry work requires going through documents/websites and gathering information found in those document. Needless to say attention to details is critical in such cases.
- Good Typing Speed – Your entering data, so faster you can type more money you can make. Some jobs require a certain typing speed just to qualify for the job.
If you’re lacking in any of the above areas there are free courses etc to improve those skills. Do not lie about these things when your bidding/applying for jobs. Most data entry jobs have preliminary test before accepting and you’re sure to be found out in these tests.
Bidding for Jobs in Freelance Sites
Above I have listed down three freelancing websites to find data entry jobs. Because the competition is fierce many bid for those data entry projects. If you’re just starting out here are few things you should to do maximize your chances of getting the job.
- Complete the profile – An absolute must in this competitive niche. Make sure to add your profile picture and previous work experience. Most freelancer sites indicate your profile completeness as a percentage. Try to make it 100% or as high as possible.
- Bid Low – When you’re just starting out you don’t have any reputation or ranking. So to get attention and have a chance of getting the job you need to bid low. After you complete the job and get a good ranking you can go for higher bids.
- Get Certified – Not all freelancing sites have this options, but some like ODesk have their own testing methods to validate the qualifications of freelancers. Try to finish most of these exams to increase your chance of winning jobs.
Permanent Data Entry Job Positions in Sri Lanka
If you’re looking for a permanent data entry job then the first thing you should realize is that I don’t provide them. But here are few ways to find them.
- Newspapers – Although online job portals has been around for some time, newspapers still carry many job vacancy applications. Go to your local library in the weekend and go through all the papers. You’re more than likely to find few data entry job openings. Apply for them and hope for the best.
- Career.lk – This site had quite a few data entry job positions last time I checked. Go through the advertisements and apply if your qualifications match the requirements. Better have a CV ready if your going to use these sites.
- TopJobs.lk – Probably the most famous job portal in Sri Lanka. This also had quite a few data entry job openings.
Any Questions About Data Entry Jobs in Sri Lanka
Hopefully this detailed guide will clear you doubts about date entry jobs in Sri Lanka. If you have question that isn’t covered above you can ask me using the comments or by sending a message through the contact form above. Please do not comment or mail me asking for data entry jobs.