Above statement true for Software Engineers working in large organizations ? Well according to the comments made by some in one of my previous articles No Jobs for SLIIT students thats exactly what they are , Programming chicken working in a programming cubicle. Well since I work in a large organization its safe to say I was a bit pissed at that comment. But user comments usually give some nice ideas for posts so I decided give few reasons why I think its good to work in a large organization.
- In a large organization your job is more secured, mostly they have lots of projects and they plan for one or two years ahead , most small organizations are heavily dependent on customer projects.
- In most large organizations work is planned , so it is unlikely that a Software Engineer ( SE ) have to put on extra hours , This leave time for personnel development and to mess around with new technologies and etc, etc. I wouldn’t have time for blogging if I’m doing extra hours at the office 🙂 .
- In large organizations you are exposed to the whole Software Development Life Cycle , From code reviews to quality assurance to functional testing. Being aware of the whole process makes it easier to understand why we need to follow certain standards.
- In large organizations there are always experienced people around who can guide you , a solution that works is not always the best solution , and having experienced peers around will help you to find that best solution , ultimately making you a better programmer.
- Then there are the added benefits like Gym facilities, Insurance Coverage which are not available at small companies. Well we have a badminton court and a swimming pool inside our office premises, I doubt you’ll have them in a small company 🙂 .
Well those are the reasons I think its good to work in a large organization. Since I haven’t worked in a small company I cant speak for them. But I doubt you’ll get the above benefits working for a small company. As always feel free to comment on the above , especially if you are in a small organization.