If you are trying to drive a business, build a brand, and gain the loyalty of a massive customer base, one of the best methods for doing so is through email marketing. Because of the number of people who check their email on a daily basis, you have the opportunity to reach a large number of subscribers and even gain new ones. However, email marketing is associated with spam as well. It has lessened to a degree because of the new spam protection laws passed by the governments, but some users are still skeptical. I previously wrote why email marketing in Sri Lanka is a bit flawed and relies mostly on spamming. Below are five tips you can use to enhance email marketing campaigns.
1/ Personalize the Email
Even though you are sending out mass messages to a large audience, it’s crucial that you create emails that are as individualized as possible. Address your customers by name in the message. This way, it will feel much less like bulk junk mail and the recipient is more likely to continue reading. To better understand your customers and further personalize emails, do your research to identify their specific needs based on their past purchases, budgets, interests, etc. Also, make sure that you are available to respond and create a dialogue no later than 24 hours after you receive responses. This is where things like segmentation come in handy. Most of the email marketing software lets you create segments, so you should make the best use of them.
2/ Grab Their Attention
The first step to making sure that your message gets read is to reel the recipient in with a killer subject line. The key is to use less than 40 characters to translate that there is valuable material for the recipient if opened. Here are some subject line tips:
- What’s in it for the customer? Disclose the benefits up front and let your customer know what exactly they can expect to get out of the deal.
- Ask a question. This is a simple tactic that will entice someone to gain more information.
- Don’t give false info. Although you might be tempted to glamorize your subject to ensure it gets opened, you mustn’t trick the reader—if you make a promise, it needs to be something you can actually make happen.
- The best words: Giveaway, jobs, monthly, survey, edition, video, e-newsletter and tips.
- The worst words: Confirm, rewards, savings, offer, follow-up, Christ, magic, features, upgrade and coupon. Never include dollar signs, exclamation marks or uppercase letters.
3/ Short and Sweet Emails
Because of busy schedules, most people don’t have the time to go through piles upon piles of emails cluttering their inbox. Make sure that your message is short, sweet and to the point. Begin your message by stating what benefit the recipient has and the action you wish for them to take while making sure not to exclude any pertinent details. If you feel that it’s going to be a long email make sure to add sub heading and easy navigation within the mail.
4/ Include Important links
Success rates with email marketing tend to be higher when links are included in the body of the email. Readers like to have options and the ease of accessing more information directly through a message—so take advantage of both picture and text links through the following:
- Desired landing page links. To make things easy, you can link customers to the desired landing page that flows from your message to your desired action.
- Social media links. Include links to your social media pages to let readers know you are available for other forms of communication and following.
- Unsubscribe links. Be sure to include an “unsubscribe” link in the message—for those who are dissatisfied with your emails, they can opt out of them conveniently. You can’t please everyone, and having subscribers who are unhappy with your emails are worse than having no subscribers at all. In some countries this is required by law as well.
5/ Timing is everything
One important element to take into consideration with your email campaign is the element of time. Follow these rules and your mail is more likely to get read:
- A.M.: The most popular time for email-checking is early in the morning around 6:00 a.m. Click-through rates tend to fall as the day progresses but rise again late in the evening. To guarantee the highest amount of readership, your best bet is to schedule your mail to arrive at 6:00 a.m. EST.
- Weekends: The highest rates of email-checking take place on Saturdays and Sundays. Because of this, consider sending your campaign at the end of the work week or on the weekend itself.
- No holidays: Because most people are busy with their families, traveling and enjoying time off from work over the holidays, avoid sending email at this time as most people aren’t focused on their email accounts. When your subscribers return to their inboxe after a break, there is likely to be a large amount of mail waiting for them which could increase the chances of your message being sent straight to the trash folder without so much as a second thought. The months in which your message is most likely to be deleted are December, January, July and August.
How do You Enhance Email Marketing Campaigns ?
Although the basic principle is very simple there are so many things you need to consider in email marketing. Mentioned above are some important tips to enhance email marketing campaigns. If you are doing email marketing and looking to increase subscribers and email open rates following these tips will help you a lot. If you know more ways to enhance email marketing campaigns make sure to mention in the comments section.