PayPal is the most popular online payment service in the world. Unfortunately, Sri Lankans can’t receive money through PayPal. PayPal send only accounts have been a nuisance and a deterrent for many Sri Lankan businesses and freelancers. I must have lost thousands of dollars in affiliate revenue because of this. But all is not lost. Below are few workarounds you can use to get over this problem.
Use a PayPal alternative
Fortunately, PayPal isn’t the only online service payment used globally. So you can use one of the following online payment services. If you’re directly dealing with your clients then you have a good chance to get your payments done through one of the services below. But if you’re promoting a product as an affiliate then you might have a hard time convincing them to add another online payment method. Listed below are the ones I have personally used one time or another. Do keep in mind that there are other options.
Create a PayPal account in another country
I do not recommend this method, but this is an option. Please note you might end up getting your account restricted if you go through this method.
- Create a PayPal account in a country like Malaysia where it’s possible to receive money. I have created accounts in India, Brazil, and Malaysia. Any country that allows receiving should be fine.
- Now go to My Account Tab and in the relevant subsection click withdraw.
- Depending on the country you selected you will see few withdrawal options. Obviously withdrawing to a bank account is not possible since you don’t have a bank account in that country.
- Most of the time your other option is to withdraw to your credit or debit card. You need to add a card to your account and withdraw to the card. This can be done by the Add Card link in your account.
- Once the car is added and verified you can withdraw your money to the card. PayPal usually charge a fee when you make a withdrawal.
I do not recommend this method because PayPal has gotten stricter about accounts created in other countries. Now they perform multiple checks to make sure the account belongs to the correct country. There are online services that will forge the required document for you. But you can end up on the wrong side of the law if you try one of those services.
Get your money to a friends account
Another option you have is to get your money to a friends PayPal account who lives in a country that supports receiving of money to PayPal. Of course, the biggest problem here is the trust. I’m lucky enough to have few friends whom I trust not to screw around with my money. Hopefully, you will have such a friend too.
Any other PayPal send only workarounds?
I sincerely hope you’ll find this article useful and give you a workaround for the PayPal send only problem. If you know any other valid method please go ahead and mention in the comments section. If it’s valid I will definitely add it to the main article.